Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
JOB DESCRIPTION Position: Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
Department: Health Services
Reports to: Director of Care
Community: Origin at Longwood
Under the general direction and supervision of the Director of Care, Licensed Practical Nurses: supervise Resident Care Attendants and/or other designated staff of Astoria Suites; perform nursing treatments including wound care and procedures; perform resident care duties and serve as member of the Interdisciplinary Team; administer medication for Astoria residents; provide emergency and first aid care & treatment for Astoria and Longwood residents and staff, and provide medication administration, wound assessment and care for designated independent Longwood residents.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises Resident Care by overseeing work assignments, updating treatments, care plans and nursing communication tools on an ongoing basis and communicates appropriately with residents and their family members.
- Admission and transfers of residents.
- Performs nursing procedures such as: catheterizations, applying and changing sterile dressings and/or non-sterile dressings, colostomy care, taking and recording vital signs (including blood pressure, temperature, pulse and/or respirations), blood glucose testing, administering routine and PRN medications (including performing sub-cutaneous and intramuscular injections), suppositories and/or enemas.
- Records and charts: medication administration, resident observations and assessments, objective and subjective symptoms, problems, changes, and/or concerns and reports to the Director of Care as needed.
- Consults with Care Team and provides information to formulate, implement and evaluating nursing care plans for residents.
- Provides personal care to residents: assists residents with meals, transports residents within the facility, accompanies residents during outings and social activities, and provides assistance as required.
- Works cooperatively with other staff and departments to ensure resident care needs, including dietary and activity program needs, are met.
- Communicates effectively with other departments’ staff concerning resident status.
- Maintains confidentiality of residents and staff.
- Responsible for completing and forwarding documentation for third party agencies i.e.: Work Safe, Licensing, etc. as needed.
- Attends relevant committee meetings such as: Medication Safety, Occupational Health and Safety, Team and Nurses Meetings, Infection Control.
- Participates in Care Conferences and In Service programs as a member of the Inter-disciplinary Team.
- Acts in the role of Team Leader as assigned if/when DOC is temporarily absent from facility during the course of regular duties.
- Performs any other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Education and Experience
- Current registration with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals.
- One year’s recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Current First Aid and CPR training Certificate
Skills and Abilities
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with residents, families, co-workers, members of the Interdisciplinary team and the public.
- Deal with others effectively
- To organize and prioritize work
- Operate related equipment
- Physically carry out the duties of the position.
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Nanaimo, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
- Have you been fully vaccinated against COVID-19?
- LPN/RPN (required)
- CPR (required)
- First Aid Certification (required)
Supervised by: Director of Care
This Job Description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instruction, and perform any other related duties, as may be required from time to time.